Here is a step by step guide to getting started with AMRA. Whether you are racing the Big Bike series or you have a little one interested in racing the Mini Bike series, we'll walk you through what you need to get off to a great start with our series!
- Step 1: Download and Read the AMRA Rulebook!
The AMRA Rulebook is an invaluable resource that explains exactly how the AMRA clubs run events. This is necessary understanding so that riders fully understand the event formats, class/division designations, finisher rules, points structures, etc.
Here's a couple quiz questions for you to test your rulebook knowledge:
- Do you know how many laps you need to complete in a Hare Scramble to be considered a finisher and get points?
- Is the "Open" class open to any displacement motorcycle? (the answer might surprise you)
- How can you get 50 series bonus points?
- How many events do you have to compete in to be eligible for year end awards?
- How can you get disqualified before even showing up to a race?
- What is used to determine a tie-breaker in points?
NOTE: There are also some helpful suggestions in the New Rider Info Sheet.
- Step 2: Pick a Class and Division
Please refer to the membership page for AMRA divisions and classes for both big bikes and minis.
- Step 3: AMA membership
The AMRA Big Bike and Mini Bike series are American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) sanctioned off-road series and as such also requires all AMRA big bike and mini bike series participants to be members of the AMA. To purchase an AMA membership go to the AMA website.
- Step 4: AMRA Competition Membership
All AMRA Big Bike and Mini Bike series participants must purchase an AMRA membership to compete in AMRA events and earn series points.
- Bike numbers can only be requested at the time of purchasing an AMRA membership.
- Big Bike numbers are alpha numeric with the letter following earned or assigned number (ie a 30+ bike number may be 24V, or a 250cc bike number may be 65X)
- Mini Bike numbers are alpha numeric with the letter following
- AMRA Memberships can be purchased here
NOTE: You will also need to purchase a Transponder for use in the Hare Scramble events (Big Bikes and Mini Bikes).
NOTE: It usually takes 48 hours after completing the membership request to get your bike number (Big Bikes and Mini Bikes).
- Step 5: Submit minor waiver (riders under 18)
All riders under the age of 18 MUST follow the appropriate process to submit the designated minor waiver form in order to be eligible to race and AMRA event. There are no exceptions to this!
For Big Bike and Mini Bike series minor participants:
- Step 6: Pre-enter for an AMRA race online
To save time and money pre-enter for the next AMRA event online!
- This greatly speeds up on-site check in and gives you one less thing to worry about on race day
- Be sure to bring your photo ID and AMA card
- Be sure to have both parents onsite (minors only)
- Step 7: Race day!
- Show up to the race site early to get signed in, to run your bike through tech inspection and to ask any other last minute questions
- Don't forget your photo ID, AMA membership (big bike series), bring CASH (checks, credit cards are not accepted onsite)
- Sign in can be overwhelming your first time through, but there are lots of folks on hand to help and answer your questions. We're here to help!
- Attend the riders meeting to get any other questions answered about the race
Still have questions? Email our bike stewards: firstname.lastname@example.org